► Back to main page
► Back to ESTHER member: Ireland
| PARTNERSHIP INFORMATION
| Partner institutions
|| University Hospital: Omdurman Maternity Hospital (OMH
|| University Hospital: Cork University Maternity Hospital (CUMH)
| Intervention area
| Partnership approach
|| Service delivery, Institutional strengthening, Under/Postgraduate education, Professional development, Mentoring
|| January / 2002 - December / 2023
| Total budget
|| 0 EUR
|| Prof. Tony Ryan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
| Project description
|| The Cork University Maternity Hospital (CUMH)-OmdurmanCUH Maternity Hospital (OMH) partnership began as an idea in 2002 when two paediatricians and a neonatal nurse, all from Cork, taught the Neonatal Resuscitation Programme in Khartoum to 90 providers and 28 instructors, including midwives and doctors. It was then suggested that CUMH should make some contributions to the developing world, focusing particularly on hospitals and services with which CUMH could partner. The cooperation between these two maternity hospitals has continued for over 10 years, and in recognition of the superb work that has been accomplished, the partnership received an award for Excellence in Healthcare Management at the 2009 Irish Healthcare Awards. The partnership joined ESTHER Ireland in February 2013. More information about the partnership can be found here: http://www.esther.ie/cork-university-maternity-hospital-omdurman-maternity-hospital-partnership/
| Fact sheet
| DIASHOW, VIDEOS, AND MISCELLANEOUS
The goals of this partnership are to:
- Goal 1: Develop a healthcare partnership model in maternity care which can be replicated elsewhere.
- Goal 2: Develop a bilateral education and research programme to identify pertinent factors relating to infant and maternal mortality and assess different intervention strategies.
- Goal 3: Implement evidence based and efficient obstetrics and gynaecology, neonatal and midwifery clinical practice to reduce maternal and perinatal mortality.
- Goal 4: Develop existing fistula services and a new urogynaecology centre.
- Goal 5: Significantly improve the Omdurman Maternity Hospital facilities and hygiene (e.g. buildings, waste management, infection control, computers, IT etc.)
- Goal 6: Develop a hospital management structure appropriate to a maternity hospital in Sudan.
- Goal 7: To introduce and implement the Helping Babies Breathe Programme into the states and villages throughout Sudan.