► Back to main page
► Back to ESTHER member: Ireland
| PARTNERSHIP INFORMATION
| Dublin - Arusha
| Partner institutions
|| Health education institution: The College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa
|| Health education institution: The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
| Intervention area
| Partnership approach
|| Institutional strengthening, Under/Postgraduate education, Professional development, E-learning
|| January / 2008 - December / 2023
| Total budget
|| 0 EUR
|| Mr Eric O’Flynn (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
Prof Krikor Erzingatsian (email@example.com)
| Project description
|| The RCSI-COSECSA collaboration is a well established partnership dedicated to surgical training. It develops common regional surgical training programmes in designated training institutions with a common examination and the award of surgical qualification that meets international standards and is regionally recognised. Fellowships are offered in seven specialities: General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Paediatrics, Urology, Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery and ENT. There are 10 Member Countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Burundi. The RCSI-COSECSA Collaboration Programme was designed to advance COSECSA’s mandate and improve its current operating capacity. The Programme is supported by Irish Aid, with RCSI providing staff time and resources including curricula, education tools, skills training, examinations, accreditation and quality assurance processes. The Programme’s goal is to increase the provision of quality, essential surgical and emergency care in the COSECSA mandate region, particularly at district level. More information on the partnership can be found here: http://www.esther.ie/royal-college-of-surgeons-ireland-cosecsa-collaboration-programme/
| Fact sheet
| DIASHOW, VIDEOS, AND MISCELLANEOUS
Selected programme activities
- Delivery of Train the Trainers courses to all COSECSA trainers in partner countries.
- Ongoing training of three surgeons in each of the nine countries as Basic Science Faculty.
- Support and benchmarking of COSECSA examinations, exam exchange visits, faculty exchange visits, pre-exam seminars and a exam question writing seminar.
- Provision of a professional volunteer in COSECSA secretariat Arusha,Tanzania.
- 24 ICT labs established and equipped in 9 countries.
- A unique, Africa-centric surgical training e-learning platform jointly developed with COSECSA.
- Joint development of other IT tools, education management software, training and promotional material.
- International promotion of COSECSA
- Training of COSECSA staff.
- Funding of specific activities and events